San Clemente Women’s Club Ninety Years of Community ServiceJul 01, 2021 01:22PM ● By Nina Welch
by Nina Welch
In a small beach town during the Great Depression, a group of women wanted to make a difference in their community. Hence, on January 21, 1931, the San Clemente Woman’s Club (SCWC) was formed. Their first charitable endeavor was to donate $1 per week to provide meat to the San Clemente Soup Kitchen.
The SCWC evolved into a registered service club as part of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, which is the oldest and largest organization in the world; and during WWII, the SCWC helped support the Veteran’s Administration Hospital and the Red Cross.
These industrious women also wanted to beautify San Clemente so they cleaned the empty lots of trash and spread flower seeds around town. Due to these efforts, in 1951, the San Clemente Garden Club was organized.
Ninety-years-later, the SCWC is ready to build back up even stronger after a pandemic setback. With club president Kris Korkunis at the helm, this hard-working group of dedicated women will continue their philanthropic work, which includes donations to Ronald McDonald House, the Boys and Girls Club, Adopt a Family for Thanksgiving, San Clemente Military Family Outreach, and OC Special Spokes. Also, Meals on Wheels and San Clemente High School Scholarships count among their major undertakings.
The SCWC is a non-profit, non-political, and non-sectarian organization. Since they weren’t able to celebrate their 90th anniversary on January 21, they plan to incorporate the celebration into an in-person fundraiser later this year. There are currently 35 members in the club, and they welcome new like-minded members who would like to give back to their community.
Kathy Tait, Club Historian, offered some interesting club trivia.
DID YOU KNOW THAT?
• Jo Ann Udall wrote the SCWC’s club song.
• The club donated an all-terrain beach wheelchair to the San Clemente Lifeguards.
• The club funded the weathervane at Ole Hanson Beach Club.
• The club donated to the San Clemente Library’s stained-glass window.
• The club is the original donor to Laura’s House, which was started by club members
Sandy Condello and Helen Scott.